General coordinator (M/F) - Bangladesh
Date limite de candidature: 09/01/2019
Type d'offre: Contrat à durée déterminée
Volume de travail: Temps plein
Lieu de l'emploi: Dhaka
For more than 30 years, Médecins du Monde, a campaigning medical organisation committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health for all policies. Those working for this independent organization do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations. MdM currently works in 40 countries across all continents where it focuses on 4 priority areas: caring for the health of migrants and displaced persons, promoting sexual and reproductive health, combating HIV and reducing the harm and risks associated with drug use, crises and conflicts.
MDM France opened a mission in Bangladesh in February 2017. Operations are run through 2 partnerships with local institutions, namely “Gonoshasthaya Kendra” (GK) a local non-governmental organization (NGO) specialized into primary health care and community health care, and the “Bangladesh National Women Lawyers’ Association”, a lawyer’s association based in Dhaka that aims “to create equal opportunities and equal rights for every woman and child in the country “BNWLA”. For these two partners, MdM focus its intervention today on capacity building activities on medical and psychological care for Gender Based Violence (GBV) victims, in several regions of the Country.
From 25th August 2017, a massive wave of population fleeing violence in the Rakhine state in Myanmar crossed the border to find refuge in Cox’s Bazar district in Bangladesh. This unprecedented situation (more than 500 000 new comers arrived in a very fragile area) creates an emergency situation that is very worrying for many stakeholders. MdM has supported GK to launch and run 3 clinics in the camps until recently.
After one year of emergency activities in Cox’s bazar, MdM is now entering a new phase and aims at strengthening its response at qualitative level and to become a recognized actor on Gender Based Violence (GBV) and Mental Health and PsychoSocial Support (MHPSS) through technical support to all non-governmental organizations (national and international) implementing healthcare services in refugee camps for both host communities and rohingya population. These capacity building and support activities (specific training, disseminating guidance and good practices, supervisions focusing on GBV and MHPSS components) will be offered through dedicated GBV and MHPSS clusters and in coordination with UNFPA and WHO. WOWHOby
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the direct responsibility of the Desk officer in Paris, you are responsible for ensuring the delivery of quality programs, donor and government relations, fundraising and budget management, security and operations management. In this specific set up, you will have a strong additional focus on developing the financial and administrative set up of the mission in this context.
More specifically, the activities are to:
- Management of operations
- Responsible for planning the MdM programmes, in country strategy, supervising program implementation and Monitoring and Evaluation system
- Responsible for the follow-up of the registration process of the mission and the programs with the authorities of Bangladesh
- Responsible to secure and develop current partnerships
- To supervise the launching of humanitarian responses
- To supervise the implementation of relief, GBV (gender based violence) and MHPSS (mental health and psychosocial support) activities in Bangladesh
- To continue analysing and assessing the humanitarian situation of migrants in and out of Bangladesh
- Responsible for good operational and representation cooperation with other MdM chapters, MDM Japan being operational in the field.
- To ensure that the different components of the program are consistent and in link with medical needs and standards
- Responsible for active fundraising at field level. To identify donors and secure funding for projects.
- Responsible for proposing and designing the modification of proposals and potential no cost extension of the project
- To ensure the operational compliance with MdM and donor policies and projects objectives
- To supervise the financial system in order to ensure that the organization finances are maintained in an accurate and timely manner
- To supervise MdM annual budgets and revised budgets design.
- To supervise the financial and cash flow processes between HQ and the Bangladesh mission
- HR and Team management
- To manage and supervise the team
- To ensure the quality of the human resources and the working conditions of the entire mission (working contracts, salaries and wage policies, training plan, internal regulation, job description for the staff, disciplinary procedures,…)
- To define collective and individual objectives and goals for coordination team
- To ensure briefings of any new expatriate arriving on the mission about the mission’s general organization, its objectives, the context and the mission’s functioning, security rules if there needed.
- Partnership and advocacy
- Responsible for exploring, designing and establishing partnership relations, direct support in supervising the partnership project and capacity building project activities
- To identify new partners if needed
- Participating in identifying the advocacy goals in country and at regional level
- To ensure smooth partnership with other MdM chapters present in Bangladesh including briefings on arrival on the mission’s general organization, the context and the mission’s functioning, and security rules.
- Responsible for the security / safety of people and property for the mission supervision and organization of the implementation of safety rules and for ensuring that rules are applied including other MdM chapters expatriates
- To provide information to RMs (= a Volunteer MdM Board Delegate to the mission) and Desk Officer regularly, and to the security unit if needed
- To regularly review the analysis of the context and of security & safety conditions
- Coordination with stakeholders
- To participate to the different coordination meetings and sectors
- To carry out negotiations and maintains regular relations with the local authorities and other stakeholders (NGOs, donors, embassies),
- To negotiate agreements, work connections, MOUs etc. with the local authorities and the eventual modifications
- To draft and ratify reports required by the authorities at national level.
- To ensure coordination with national and international health stakeholders, UN bodies and medical actors
- Proactive participation among regional MdM projects and common goals
- Reporting and donor relations
- To ensure submission of appropriate, timely high quality proposals and participate to required donor negotiations in country
- To maintain professional relationship with donor and ensure visibility
- To send monthly internal reports to HQ
- Responsible for communication with the head office of MdM; responsible for the quality of the reports on activities and ensures compliance with procedures for the exchange of information and reporting.
- To maintain Desk and RMs updated on regular basis
- To ensure smooth communication flows between the mission and other MdM chapters present in Bangladesh
- To ensure smooth communication flows between HQ and other missions in the region
- To alert the HQ in case of particular problems in Bangladesh
Languages: English fluent
French is an asset
Experience in emergency and development humanitarian projects as Field Coordinator or General Coordinator
Good sensitivity and experience with administrative and registration issues
Knowledge of public health issues, and migration context would be an asset
Experience in advocacy would be an asset
Knowledge of Windows environment (Word, Excel)
Knowledge of public health issues including GBV and MHPSS, and migration context would be an asset
Ability to take quick decisions according to the context in coordination with the team
Diplomacy and adaptability
Strong organizational and management skills
You are committed to MdM’s values as an organization and motivated by its non-statutory, NFP model.